Security Cabinet approves administrative detention for Jewish attackers

Marcy Oster

JERUSALEM (JTA) — Israel’s Security Cabinet approved the use of administrative detention to catch and hold those responsible for the firebomb that killed a Palestinian baby.

In a meeting Sunday, the Security Cabinet called the Friday morning attack in the Palestinian village of Duma “a terrorist attack in every respect.”

The Cabinet “directs the security agencies to take all necessary steps to apprehend those responsible and prevent similar acts,” it said in a statement, “including administrative detention where appropriate, with the approval of the Attorney General.”

Earlier on Sunday, Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said that he has given the go-ahead to security officials to hold Jewish suspects in the firebombing under administrative detention, without charges or trial. Administrative detention can be renewed every six months indefinitely. Thousands of Palestinians are being held in administrative detention in Israeli jails.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.

Sign up for Your Morning Light