Israeli soldier who shot downed Palestinian terrorist convicted of manslaughter

Marcy Oster

Elior Azaria

Elior Azaria at a military court hearing in Jaffa, Aug. 30, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

TEL AVIV (JTA) — An Israeli soldier who shot a downed Palestinian terrorist was convicted in an Israeli military court of manslaughter.

The verdict against Sgt. Elor Azaria, 19, was read out by a panel of three judges on Wednesday at the Israel Defense Forces headquarters in Tel Aviv.

Hundreds of protesters outside of the venue clashed with police and several were arrested over the course of the more than three hours it took to read the decision.

The judges rejected the defense’s claims and version of what occurred in the March 24, 2016 incident.

“He opened fired in violation of orders, the terrorist did not pose any threat,” the judges wrote in their verdict.

“The fact that the man sprawled on the ground was a terrorist, who had just sought to take the lives of IDF soldiers at the scene, does not in itself justify disproportionate action,” the decision also said.

Azaria, a medic in the elite Kfir Brigade, came on the scene following a Palestinian stabbing attack on soldiers in Hebron in the West Bank.

One assailant was killed, and Abdel Fattah al-Sharif was injured. Minutes later, while Sharif was lying on the ground, Azaria shot him in the head in a shooting that was captured on video by a local resident. Azaria was arrested the same day and indicted nearly a month later. Autopsy reports showed that the shots by Azaria killed Sharif.

Prior to shooting Sharif, Azaria had cared for a stabbed soldier.

Azaria’s case has been controversial in Israel — with some on the political right calling for solidarity with the soldier and others, including military leaders, suggesting such calls reflect a national crisis of ethics.

This article passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at

Recommended article: The Guardian’s Summary of Julian Assange’s Interview Went Viral and Was Completely False.