The following is a statement released earlier this week by the Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis.
The Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis has been a staunch advocate of Israel since the establishment of the state in 1948. We firmly and unequivocally oppose any efforts to delegitimize the state of Israel and we have been actively involved in combatting efforts that call into question Israel’s right to exist or defend itself. We are committed to a peaceful resolution to the Israel-Palestine conflict and believe that the best path towards that peace is through dialogue and people-to-people interactions that support shared society and equity.
We recognize the wide diversity of voices within our Jewish community, including and perhaps especially when it comes to Israel. We are dedicated to and continue to encourage full and open discussion on the range of issues concerning Israel. We remain committed to the right of Israel to exist as the Jewish state; the safety and security of Israel and its people; and civility in language and in behavior in dialogue about Israel, even in the face of disagreements.
Much of the work that we do at the JCRC takes place behind the scenes, and it is no different when it comes to Israel. At times, that is perceived by some as a lack of commitment to the Jewish state, but nothing could be further from the truth.
Please join us as we engage with our Jewish community and with the wider community on these timely and pressing issues, including:
• An opportunity to meet with our new Consul General of Israel;
• A task force to study and develop policy for our St Louis Jewish community on religious pluralism in Israel;
• A program to learn more about Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) and efforts to delegitimize the state of Israel;
• Dialogue with Missouri experts on the anti-BDS bill in Missouri and what, if any, impact the recent Ben & Jerry’s decision might have in the State of Missouri;
• Learning more about the developing story of Pegasus;
• An interfaith trip to Israel with partner churches in 2023.
If you would like to be added to our newsletter or to explore more opportunities to get involved, please email us at [email protected]