5-6 granny apples (3 lbs.)
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 stick margarine or 1/2 cup oil
1 pinch of salt
1) Mix all ingredients except apples and knead into dough.
2) Set aside in refrigerator.
3) Peel and grate apples and sprinkle with sugar, at least four tablespoons (cinnamon optional.) Set aside.
4) Take dough out of refrigerator and divide it into two parts.
5) Roll out one part of dough and spread it into a greased cake pan (13x9x2.)
6) Spread apples evenly over dough.
7) Roll out remainder of dough and place it on top to cover apples.
8) Take a dull knife and draw a brick pattern on dough.
9) Poke holes with point of knife.
10) Sprinkle sugar on top.
11) Preheat oven to 350 and bake for one hour until done.